Friday, June 17, 2011

"Mr. Popper's Penguins"

Runtime:1 hr. 35 min.

Rated PG for mild rude humor and some language

Cast: Jim Carrey, Carla Gugino, Ophelia Lovibond, Madeline Carroll, Angela Lansbury

Director: Mark S. Waters

Several years ago, when I was writing for another online publication, I received an email from a young mother. She was inquiring about a family-oriented movie she was considering taking her kids to...

I don't remember the name of the movie now or much of what it was about, only that I didn't care for it in the least. With honesty being priority one, I wrote back, telling her I found it dull, slow, uninspired, filled with puerile humor, and had little if any redeeming value. "I see," she wrote back. "But is it good for families?" I was dumbfounded. "I guess that depends on how you feel about your family..." (I didn't actually write that last line. If memory serves, I listed the movie's rating and provided a link to the MPAA website.)

Now, I didn't have nearly that bad a reaction to "Mr. Popper's Penguins." Here is a movie with sublime intentions, contains some cute comic bits, is replete with a perpetual chorus of awww moments, and is harmless. I even saw a commercial for the film this past week where it received some sort of endorsement for being wholesome family entertainment. I can attest to that, just as easily as I can attest to the fact that I sat through the movie in a state of mild yet steady boredom. Wholesome isn't quite enough for me, though I'll cop to the fact that I'm not the target demographic here. (There was a little girl sitting with her mother behind me at the screening. She provided those of us within earshot with a plethora of awww moments.)

The movie gets its mileage from the inherent cuteness of the penguin. Yes, penguins are rich fodder for these types of films. "Happy Feet" played up their adorable nature as well, although that movie also provided a storyline involving the penguin protagonist and introduced tangible themes... finding your voice, embracing your individuality. Nothing deep, but at least relatable to anyone who has struggled through adolescence. "Mr. Popper's Penguins," by contrast, tries to skate by on cuteness alone. When you embrace that approach, the transition from cute to mawkish to downright cloying is noticeably quick.

Tom Popper (Jim Carrey) is a master in the art of real estate procurement. He works for a powerful New York City brokerage firm and has his sights on a possible partnership. The firm has plans to buy the now defunct Tavern on the Green, demolishing the gift shop it became to break ground on a new building. Of course, Popper isn't really callous at heart. He lost his innocence early on when his father became increasingly absent from his life, choosing instead to go on a multitude of expeditions. Their only communication for months at a time was through a ham radio set. Popper was married to the kind but exasperated Amanda (Carla Gugino), and his kids (Madeleine Carroll and Maxwell Perry Cotton) are losing interest in visiting him.

One day, Popper receives a package in the mail. It's from his long lost father. The box contains a penguin. Soon, another box arrives containing five more. This is not good for Popper, as it could get him evicted and even threaten his chances of purchasing the Tavern from its cautious seller (Angela Lansbury). He tries unloading them, but only a suspicious zoo official (Clark Gregg) has an interest. Popper soon changes his mind about his newfound friends, however, when he sees how much his estranged family has taken to them.

For his part, Jim Carrey puts in a good effort. Playing comic schtick off of digital effects is no easy task, and he provides the movie with as much humor as he can muster. As Popper's daughter, Janie, Madeleine Carroll has a very bright acting future. (She played Kevin Costner's precocious daughter in "Swing Vote.") This particular role isn't a standout one; she's capable of a lot more. Yet complex roles for girls her age are in pretty short supply. One day, though, I suspect she'll come across a strong role in an indie drama and audiences will be amazed at what they see.

The movie's innocuousness rests at the center of its ineffectiveness. There just wasn't enough to hold my interest. Good for families? Well, not harmful for families, but when the movie's release date is sandwiched between the far superior "Kung Fu Panda 2" and the upcoming highly-anticipated Disney Pixar animation "Cars 2," your money might be better spent elsewhere. And remember that little girl I was telling you about sitting behind me? By the movie's end, she was tapping her foot and sighing audibly. Take that as you will.

* *  out of  * * * *  stars